Arbor Hill is a historic neighborhood located in the northeast section of the City of Albany, bounded by Orange Street, Broadway and Henry Johnson Boulevard. Arbor Hill is primarily a residential area with a unique heritage. Ten Broeck Mansion, the Palace Theatre and St. Joseph's Church are a few examples of the cultural gems within the neighborhood's historic districts (Ten Broeck and Clinton Avenue).
In 2003, the City helped form an Advisory Committee to complete a neighborhood plan that would best represent the interests and needs of Arbor Hill stakeholders (e.g., homeowners, tenants, lenders, neighborhood associations, faith-based groups and service organizations), and that could act as a guiding document for neighborhood revitalization. The Advisory Committee focused on priorities such as homeownership and rental opportunities; arts, culture and heritage; business and job development; and improved quality of life.
To date, Arbor Hill has made great progress toward implementing recommendations outlined in their Neighborhood Plan. Many significant residential, commercial and mixed-use projects have already transformed the Arbor Hill community (see the (Re)Development Map for updates). Projects have been developed through a variety of public/private investment; through supportive relationships such as, Albany Community Development Agency, Albany Housing Authority, and the Arbor Hill Development Corporation; and through funding awarded from Community Development Block Grants (CDBG), the Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP), or other public/private resources.
Some highlights in Arbor Hill include:
- Albany receives a Planning Excellence Award for Implementation of the Arbor Hill Neighborhood Plan by the NY Upstate Chapter of the American Planning Association.
- CDBG and donations help fund rehabilitation of historic King's Place on North Swan Street. A new face to a source of blight on N Swan Street.
- North Swan Street revitalization efforts include commercial and park space improvements. North Swan Street Park is now completed!
- Eight newly renovated buildings along Clinton Avenue and Ten Broeck Avenue have been completed as part of the Neighborhood Stabilization Program. Rehabilitation ribbon-cutting ceremony.
- Albany Housing Authority begins the long-awaited update and renovation of the 1970's-era Ida Yarbrough Homes.
- Steep, vacant lots along First Street are cleaned up and landscaped--now enjoyed as Overlook Park.
- Arbor Hill awarded as one of America's Great Neighborhoods by NY Upstate Chapter of the American Planning Association.